View Single Post
      09-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #67
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
I did Stelvio last year and it was ok. Driving it alone is probably not as much fun as it has sharp turns and not having a "spotter" will cause you to go slower... Also on weekends/Friday it tends to get very busy and you may get stuck behind other cars/campers/bikes etc
I decided not to do Stelvio this time around (picking up 10/10) and rather do a number of the Swiss alp passes (Susten, Furka, St Gothard, Oberalp Pass, Grimsel Pass, etc) also plan to do the Silvretta pass again as it's a great stretch of road with perfect surface

The Black Forest road is great and certainly a better choice if the weather doesn't co-operate, also you'd be close to Stuttgart and could visit the Porsche Museum and Daimler, Audi etc
Gents... I did Grossglockner, Stelvio, most of the swiss passes listed above, and the black forest road. GG and BF were both fogged out but nice roads nevertheless. Stelvio was interesting, but a crappy road, and not sure I would do it solo.

The swiss passes, though? they were definitely the best, and the smoothest roads --- in case you missed it, here is my 8x speed trip through st. gotthard and susten. I cant speak to what the weather will be, but there are plenty of websites that can.