View Single Post
      08-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #20
kamichael
BMW M on my mind
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3, 23 M2, 24 X5 50e

Garage List
I'm glad you brought this question back up - I had asked someone about this before I got my car. It was described briefly in the BMW literature.

Yes - it is very subtle. There is a small white colored LED that projects light upward on the center dash speaker at night. It is VERY subtle though - not overly bright or distractive. Just enough to make the speaker noticeable in the dark. You can even adjust it from the lighting options from within the iDrive settings menu. It gives you the ability to disable the light altogether, to enable the light or to choose to "reduce while driving." The light is so slight however that I don't find it necessary to disable or reduce it. I have not tried the reduce while driving mode yet - I am even amazed that there is a middle brightness from the full on and full off modes. I have turned it off and on again - it does not simply switch off - it very slowly dims and then turns off, or very slowly brightens up to the full on level again.

It is really interesting how much attention BMW and/or B&O has put on this little light feature. None of the other B&O aluminum speakers look to be lit from what I can tell.

On another note however - a post to itself in the future I suspect - the B&O system is WORTH EVERY LITTLE PENNY. I have the BMW Premium Sound 16 speaker system in my F10 550 - this is the standard stereo for F10 M5 in the United States. I was so very pleased with that system - I was never able to actually hear the B&O system before ordering my M5. I figured it was better, I just wasn't sure if it was nearly $4000 better. Hands down - better in every possible way, a must have if you like your music!

Last edited by kamichael; 08-27-2012 at 03:31 AM..
Appreciate 0