Thread: M5 to i8
View Single Post
      10-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #19
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Yeah from a power and performance standpoint, I would wait for the i9 if I was really intent on getting a BMW high performance hybrid sports car. The i9 will have a more powerful electric motor and probably a 6cyl turbo engine. I'm already speculating we could see power above the 500hp mark on the i9.

What the i8 does right, is that it is a "first" in the world basically. The worlds first hybrid sportscar essentially at a price that is pretty affordable in relative terms of exotic car owners. The dihedral doors, extreme fuel economy, extreme chassis construction engineering and futuristic looks make it a winner for a first ever hybrid sportscar. Now will the i8 retain it's value over the coming years? Definitely not. The i8 has now started a revolution of which car manufacturers are going to start making cars along the same concept at more affordable prices. Not everyone can afford a LaFerrari, 918, or P1, but you bet that the average well to do middle class professional can afford a $135k (before a $7,500 government incentive credit) BMW i8, or next generation Nissan R36 GTR (confirmed to be going hybrid assist drivetrain) and even the futuristic BMW i9.

Additionally from right out of the box, many car reviewers are saying that it drives and feels like a 911. The Full Carbon Fiber chassis gives the i8 the stiffness of a true sports car and the electric torque fill hyrid assist gives it sports car like acceleration. Even the 991 C2S only has 400hp and yet it's one of the best sports cars ever built, you don't buy a 911 for it's horsepower. The i8 is only 38hp shy of C2S power levels.

The i8's flaws from an enthusiasts perspective is the lack of power and exhaust note. The notes than come from the turbo 3 are pretty much completely synthesized. There is Active sound inside of the cabin, and their is a speaker in one of the two exhaust tips for the 3cyl engine. One exhaust tip is for actual exhaust to come out and the other tip is for exterior exhaust note sound generation. But look at what other BMW's have artificial sound in BMW's line up too, namely the M5/M6 and M3/M4, BMW's top performance models.

I believe that with a wider set of aftermarket wheels, a lower stance, and perhaps a one color scheme vinyl wrap or paint job the i8 can look so very sexy.

Case in points with the two pictures below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0