View Single Post
      11-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #29
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Louis View Post
Thanks for the info. What I use, but not on my M5, is a quick connect fitting that replaces the drain plug. It uses a matching female connector that you can attach a piece of garden hose to to direct the draining oil directly into a container. The two pieces connect just like air tools to a compressor hose. When you connect the two it opens the drain. The male piece stays on the car, it comes with a protective screw on cover.

I have one on my racecar (an M3) because I change the oil after every race weekend. I also put one on my wife's car and my daily driver and tow vehicle as I'm basically lazy and it makes changing the oil that much easier. I got them from Pegasus Racing

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...paign=201404-1

I haven't put one on the M5 for two reasons--1) I'll still take the car to the dealer for the scheduled services and the techs & dealer won't want to use them and assume the risk of being charged with the loss of an engine if something were to go wrong with it at any time after the service, and 2) I don't like the idea of putting something on the oil pan drain that protrudes farther down and has a greater (albeit minor) risk of getting hit if it isn't otherwise protected. On the other hand, I may just put one on the M5, I can swap it for the stock drain plug when I'm doing an oil change and the dealer will be doing the next one!
Hooey. I use Fumoto valves on all 5 of my vehicles, including the M. At such times when I have to take it in to the dealer, my tech (I have a dedicated one) is positively giddy that he doesn't have to go through the normal plug pull and reinstall, and mine isn't lower to any point where hitting it is an issue. Roll Tide...
Appreciate 0