View Single Post
      04-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

The guy that raced me looked to be mid 30s and so was his seat cover. He pulled up to me. I didn't pick the fight. In the end on that day I had the quicker car. ...and like I said, he was cool about it. No whining about poor traction or excuses about being down on power or spent less money. He gave me the thumbs up and said I have a nice car. I said " thank you, so do you". No muss no fuss. As it should be, win or lose. I give props to the guy for stepping up and running what he has and not whining about the outcome.

@mainly: I suspect the M5 is up more than 130 hp but who knows. On a well prepped drag strip I can see your point. However, on the street there is much more variability in available traction which is the name of the game in 1st gear. Have you tried getting 4,300lbs moving quickly on Midwest asphalt? If so then you know you can't use all the horsepower the car makes. Thus no advantage off the line for horsepower. I believe the Camaro weighs in at ~3,900lbs so advantage Camaro there. And by advantage I mean given equal traction, simple math says the Camaro should be able to get the jump on an M5 in 1st gear. Regardless, It's all about traction and power to weight. In this case 1st gear was a relative dead heat. In 2nd I was putting car lengths on him and 3rd I was just driving off. As you so eloquently pointed out, as it should be given the horsepower advantage for the M5. I hope this helps you when forming your opinions.
Appreciate 0