View Single Post
      09-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
M5 Orthodox
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Yeah this is what I am feeling like. I feel like the chrome on the Black Sapphire Metallic give the M5 the accent it should have that the blacked out chrome grill gives every other color, even Imperial Blue I think.

See my picture below for debate.

I took this in Monaco. Here in this photo, the chrome grill really brings out that extra accent that defines the M5. If a black grill was in its place, this accent would be missed.

Such a hard decision to make. Hmmm...
Thanks for the comments guys. RPiM5, let me see if I can help you make up your mind. First off, I think it is almost impossible to sit there and imagine how any color combo would look, (even if you have pictures of someone else's car) without seeing it for yourself IN PERSON. My whole stance on pictures has been that I think they're sub-par and cannot capture the essence of the M5.

In my opinion, the chrome on the front and side grills has no place with a Black Sapphire M5. True, it adds contrast, but it does so at the expense of cheapening the overall look of the car. Almost like someone with poor taste went through and added chrome just to make the car more flashy.

When you view the car in person Black Sapphire Metallic and Gloss Black are NOTHING alike. The two in combination are sublime. They make the car look unified, intimidating, and with a sort of armored look that should be reserved for the military. Black Sapphire has also shown many faces that I couldn't have imagined. In direct sunlight it looks extremely metallic. At dusk, or in a parking garage with dim lighting, it almost looks like a gunmetal black. No sparkles, no reflections, just a deep black (nothing like matte but far from metallic). And actually, in dim light the gloss black ends up being shinier and stands out more.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is plenty of contrast between the two blacks, and your eyes will appreciate this without you necessarily realizing what's happening. You simply cannot get this subtle/elegant effect from chrome.

The other day I blew past a lady on the highway, and when she pulled up next to me at the exit, she said I scared the shit out of her and that my car was like a "bat out of hell". Favorite response to my car yet.
Appreciate 0