cjackson1906
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 GC & 2019 M5C

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
So I think this winter has been very unusual, we got wintery weather every other week. But this weather has been making me ask myself this very question every day since I bought my M5 in November.

I LOVE the car, having owned every M3 so far and this being my first M5 I think the F10 M5 is a great car. However, I traded my X5M in for this car...and I've been wishing every day that I hadn't.

Right now I'm debating on whether to trade it back in for an X5 5.0 M Sport. My dealer ordered me one in almost the same color combo as my M5...

I'm not sure winters on this car would work. Until the last few years cars haven't had this kind of torque. Also there isn't exactly a snow setting to dial back the power. My rear end kicks out on cold days..

So I ended up just getting a set of Blizzaks for my M3 and using that for this winter....I may get the X5, Cayenne or maybe wait for the Macan.

Just in case we get another winter like this, I need a little ground clearance and AWD with winters to get around.

i say all this but i probably will keep it, i can't bear parting with it.

Jeff

^^This

When I said I was trading in my M5 for the 650 xDrive, people in DC and other places were like don't do it b/c the winters aren't that bad up here. Winter sucks everywhere except SoCal, AZ, SoFL and parts of TX. The M5 was my daily driver and I loved it; but make no mistake, winter is anything below 40 degrees with the stock Michelins. Everyone doesn't have $4k for a winter setup, wants the hassle of removing tires/wheels every 6 months, has the space or money for an additional car or has the ability to work from home on snowy days. The DC area loves to shut down for snow, but places like NY don't shutdown for snow. Do I miss my M5? Yes, on some days. However, this winter confirms I made the right decision...at least for me. Good luck and do what you think is best for you and your family.