11-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Racer Louis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Ok, still a little confused here. So the diffuser was damaged during ED while it was in YOUR possession? If that's the case, why on earth would you expect that the VPC would fix it? I'm actually not surprised at all that they didn't fix it under those circumstances; that was probably documented as existing damage when you dropped it off. Why would you expect BMW to pay to fix something that you broke? The VPC's job isn't to restore a car to brand new state if it's an ED car, only to repair damages incurred while it was under BMW's care. Apologies if I've misunderstood that part.

As for the bumper, maybe your bumper was damaged by BMW at some point when they had it after you dropped it off, e.g. backing RPI's car into the rear of yours. But whatever the cause, you got a new bumper for some reason, and BMW chose not to fix something that you broke. I don't see the problem.
There are a couple of pieces missing here. First the VPC and BMW are one and the same. Second, BMW has no reason to try to not repair any damage whether they or someone else caused it -- it doesn't cost BMW anything.

Once an ED car is delivered to the owner at the Welt any subsequent damage is covered by insurance. If the shipping company, a trucking company or anyone else caused the damage they are responsible but that isn't even a matter the owner needs to get involved in because the car is insured as part of the ED program. The insurance company will reimburse BMW all costs of repair, even if caused by the owner driving into a tree while enjoying the Autobahn! If there is another party responsible that will be between them and the insurance company. A few years ago a friend of mine had his ED M3 totaled on the Nurburgring by a friend that was driving it -- the insurance company bought him a new M3.

BMW's real concern is that the car is repaired properly and thus all repairs will be done at the VPC even if the damage occured prior to dropoff for return shipping or occured during shipping. If the VPC missed a needed repair I would conclude it was just "missed" as BMW has no reason not to do it.

Trying to state why someone did something, as opposed to what they did, only works if you're a mindreader.
Appreciate 0