View Single Post
      03-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Am I mistaken or did the OP jump on here with a 550i with some quad exhausts and a tune trying to say he has frankensteined a bargain M5? LOL That is just hilarious. Made my morning.

Here is a great example of how even with a huge visual representation of big dyno graphs of each car, people don't seem to get you can tune, tune and more tune the 550i all day long but it (as well as the N54, n55 engines) suffer from a huge torque spike and than dropping off the face of the early and the power absolutely coming to a hault like hitting a brick wall at 5500-6k and above.

The M5s power delivery is shockingly similar to the S65 power curve only shifted to the left by 1200 RPMS. A real atypical turbo car curve and more like a nice flat torque NA V8. Check out an m3 dyno to see how similarly shaped with the complete linear curve.

All that to say you could tune the piss out of the 550i but you will still have a mound of torque and than hit a brick wall at 5500-6k when pulling hard and that is not a character of an M car in my view. BMW saved their soul in one respect by atleast providing a turbo car that produces power in the same fashion as a big NA V8. Quite impressive
Appreciate 0