06-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
is300wrx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBoston View Post
Regarding question 2:

According to a report published by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) in May 2014 (http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...ash-prevention), the 2014 BMW 5 does now brake and bring the car to a complete stop.

BMW offers an improved front crash prevention system on 2014 models that secures high marks for the X5, 5 series and 3 series. The X5 and 5 series earn superior ratings when equipped with a system that uses both a camera and radar. When the X5, 5 series and 3 series are equipped with an optional camera-only collision mitigation system, they are rated advanced for front crash prevention. The 2 series luxury coupe also earns an advanced rating.
BMW 3 series test

The BMW 5 series brakes for the target in an IIHS test. The car earns a superior rating when equipped with an optional camera and radar system.

In comparison, the 2013 model 3 series was rated basic. The earlier model's system braked for a stopped car ahead only if sensors first detected the car moving before it stopped. The same system is still available on certain 2014 models, and these cars continue to earn a basic rating.

I do not know if this is also true for 2014 M5 builds.

Considering how much news this generated (google the BMW crash avoidance or autobrake), I am certain that all lux car manufacturers will offer this (full stop) as standard with sufficiently equipped vehicles.

I would also assume that this could easily be coded from a software perspective as I find it hard to believe that the 2014 models have different braking/camera/radar hardware to specifically enable full stop capabilities.

I have been wanting to test this for quite a while, but I can't think of a good way to do so that has zero risk of damage to my car (obviously, I would not do this in an unsafe public area). I have a pretty long driveway and I'm thinking about putting my aerobed type blow up queen bed out there and seeing if the car stops . . . but that would require more energy than my curiosity has me motivated to do.
I dug up my owner's manual and as long as the car is traveling at a moderate speed (i believe 30mph and under) the car will eventually come to a full stop if the driver neglects to apply the brakes in time.
Appreciate 0