Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
It's not as much as the specific alp pass you drive
However the best break in is to use varying RPMs and lots of pull/push for the engine (ie up / down of mountains) as it will force oil to be pushed/sucked into the cylinders etc
On my ED I did 1200mls and only ~200mls have been on highways. All other driving was done
on backroads and mountain passes
This is exactly right. I think the push pull dynamic helps a lot. In the past two years I have broken in both the S63TU in the M5 and the N63 in the 550i and with neither engine have I had any oil consumption issues. In addition to 2000 miles of alpine driving following break-in procedure, I also have been rigorous about not revving the engine until it is at operating temperature.

Pro-rated my consumption on the m5 would be one quart per 18,000 miles which is where it ought to be. On the N63 550i I had no consumption at all.

I remember reading threads on here by people who said they planned a break-in procedure of baptism by fire. i.e. gunning the engine out of the box. It's not surprising that this results in oil consumption issues later.

BTW I do think that for those of you who are impatient about letting the engine warm - make the switch to Castrol Edge 0W-30. This significantly reduces warm-up time compared with BMW 5W-30. And the Castrol oil I mention is BMW approved.
Appreciate 0