06-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #65
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
This is exactly right. I think the push pull dynamic helps a lot. In the past two years I have broken in both the S63TU in the M5 and the N63 in the 550i and with neither engine have I had any oil consumption issues. In addition to 2000 miles of alpine driving following break-in procedure, I also have been rigorous about not revving the engine until it is at operating temperature.

Pro-rated my consumption on the m5 would be one quart per 18,000 miles which is where it ought to be. On the N63 550i I had no consumption at all.

I remember reading threads on here by people who said they planned a break-in procedure of baptism by fire. i.e. gunning the engine out of the box. It's not surprising that this results in oil consumption issues later.

BTW I do think that for those of you who are impatient about letting the engine warm - make the switch to Castrol Edge 0W-30. This significantly reduces warm-up time compared with BMW 5W-30. And the Castrol oil I mention is BMW approved.
I believe in the 'push/pull' phenomenon also and accomplish it by placing the car in 7th gear at the lowest safe RPMs and then flooring the throttle. I also varied the RPMs greatly after the initial 300 miles. Once the oil temp was fine I also would transiently run the RPMS up occasionally.
At first I thought my car wasn't gong to use any oil as it was fine until the 1200 mile service and even after for a while. At 9K miles however it has been asking for a litre about every 1500 miles since the initial service. Runs great though so I'm not too bothered. My E60 M5 never used oil at all, and I ran that car hard.
Bish
Appreciate 0