View Single Post
      05-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
wolfmobil
Private
Rep
Drives: Horse

F10 M5 brakes (long term update). Should I order carbon ceramic brakes?

Below is the link to the latest update to a Car Magazine M5 long term review. Now I am wondering wether I should order ceramics. What do you think?

BMW M5 (2012) long-term test review
By the CAR road test team
Long Term Tests
08 May 2012 16:01

Steel brakes clogging up on our M5 - 8 May 2012

Had a quick peek at the M5’s cross-drilled brake discs the other day and noticed they were clogged with carbon deposits. Every hole on the front discs is full, while the rear discs are slowly filling up. I actually ended up inspecting them after feeling that the brakes weren’t performing as well as they had: the pedal feel is too soft for my liking, and I’m not convinced that they’re totally up to stopping a car of this power and weight in give-or-take situations.

I’ve found myself triggering the ABS on a few occasions now, and I know that would have culminated in a lock-up and, perhaps, a crash if the ABS safety net wasn’t there.

That’s a shame, because M has a reputation for equipping its cars with marginal brakes, and I’d hoped that the new F10 with its six-pot stoppers would put an end to that. Anyway, I’ll give them a clean and see what happens.

By Ben Barry

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...m-test-review/
Appreciate 0