View Single Post
      01-31-2017, 01:36 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdinan5 View Post
Some of you might remember the post below related to my '14 CP M5. In November I began receiving Lane Departure and Blind Spot Malfunctions when the temp dropped below 40F. Since Nov, my vehicle has been at my dealership being diagnosed by BMW NA.(9-10 weeks in) BMW replaced countless modules, harnesses, parts and in fact the entire steering wheel.

4 weeks into the troubleshooting I brought up the concern of my Dinan piggyback possibly being the problem, but my local dealership didn't think it was related and so I let them continue under the direction of BMW NA. Just last week BMW NA asked if the module could be undone and tested. Behold problem gone. Although the dealer wanted one more day of testing I immediately got on the phone with a Dinan tech I've worked with before. As I explained the situation Dan knew exactly what I was talking about.

Apparently this has happen with a number of M5's and 650's where when cold, due to increase resistance this malfunction will occur even though the signals are completely pass through to the DME.

Dinan recommended the install of a new dinan harness and piggyback module. They overnight'ed the device and it was installed today. Immediatly the error occured again. Although Dinan has recommended a couple of small resets, all arrows point to either two options.

1.) Keep the Dinan module and deal with the malfunction during the winter months
2.) Full refund of upgrade.

I have to give it to Dinan, not only are they willing to provide me with a refund (even if i decide 6 months from now), they are also picking up the entire bill from BMW without a single protest. I guess that's the Dinan difference.

I'm really perplex at why BMW or the dealership wouldn't have ruled out the issue earlier.

Either way what would you do?

1.) Stick with the piggyback?
2.) Go stock?
3.) Replace with a BPM Sport tune

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336738
I would just deal with the error message. BMW has no problem with Dinan, but BPM drills your ECU and it's a risk for warranty claims in the future. However many feel that it's worth the risk due to the reward of a substantial power upgrade from BPM and other bonus functions like Cold Start Delete (which is so nice!).

In the end it's up to you bro.

Good luck.

Appreciate 0