View Single Post
      04-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #90
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Even without those options, I'm thinking the M5 would put a bigger grin on your face. Plus, based on reported fuel economy numbers, the M5 uses less fuel than the 550.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
LOL you honestly believe that? It is impossible for that statement to be true. There are already two examples of the N63 and S63 to draw a conclusion from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
I guess we'll have to wait and see. C&D says 17 city. German engineer quoted in this forum says he drove a long distance on the highway in a manual transmission car and with an average speed of 77 mph got 24 mpg. That is 9.5l/100 km which is better than the 550 xdrive and better than the 22 mpg C&D is reporting. Of course, if you are hitting launch mode every day, the mileage will suffer. In any event it is beter the the 11 mpg city the E60 M5 was rated at.

As to the N63/S63 fuel economy, BMW engineers have been quoted as saying the there are some design changes in the M5 engine that will filter down to the 550i and other engines next year which will help with fuel economy. The N/S 63 engines don't hae the technology yet.

In any event, I'd pick a stripped (but still very well equipped M5 before I'd get a loaded 550. I'm not really into soft close doors and can live without dash leather on the M5.
And like I said, impossible for the M5 to have better gas mpg than the 550i.

It now officially has a $1,300 gas guzzler tax. Full order guide @ http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682808
Appreciate 0