06-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #57
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Alpine White E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
I don't understand why BMW would underrate this engine. IMO that only made sense in the N54 considering some of the times that it made (0-60 etc. etc. stuff that an average consumer would base their opinion off of i.e. not suspension, high revving v8 etc. etc. so please don't start this war) because it had to make sure the M3's times all around were better (see Boxster, vs Cayman, vs 911 discussions).

The M5 has no upper vehicle to make sure it does not out perform. Why underrate? From a marketing/sales perspective it makes no sense. This car will need some marketing/sales push so this doesn't make any sense to me.

Also, I am still not sure about this bar $hit but if the stock motor is pushing 22 psi like people have said then how does this thing not have turbo lag? Will tuners be pushing 30+ psi? Doesn't that seem ridiculous?

It's economies of scale.

If this engine architecture turns out to have great real-world reliability, all they'll have to do in 3-5 years is bump up the boost/tuning to keep up with the competition. If they can just play that game to keep in the HP wars that means they'll get a lot of years out of this basic engine architecture, which means a lot of design/construction savings down the road. It also means they'll have that much longer to design and test its eventual replacement.

A much better path financially than building the motor at peak power now and having to completely redesign in to 3-5 years to keep up with the competition.
Appreciate 0