View Single Post
      03-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #179
Glock 32
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It's perfectly feasible to design and program a DCT to not allow the car to roll backward when it is stationary, and also perfectly feasibly to program a traditional automatic with a torque converter to allow roll when the car is stationary as well. These behaviors are not dictated strictly by the type of transmission, although it must be acknowledged that to change them would cost more money for the manufacturers so there's not much incentive to do so. However, BMW does go as far as not allowing the DCT-equipped cars to roll back for a few seconds after the brake is released (they do the same with manuals as well, yes).

Yes, prevailing wisdom would indeed suggest that the M5 mules are M-DCT equipped (as has been discussed earlier in this thread). FWIW, it would be possible to design a Steptronic equipped vehicle that did not require a physical "park" button, although as of yet BMW has not done so.
You obviously do not understand what a manual gearbox is. Of course a transmission can be designed to BEHAVE like a manual or an automatic (but give me on example of an Auto that behaves like a manual). Or you can make a manual with a hydraulically operated clutch controlled by a computer to function it instead of your foot giving it an Automatic Mode.

Call it a semi-automatic or HELL I don't care what you call it (call it an auto), but I digress...

I guess this must have been why I was confused by the first post in the first place and/or trhe artical I did not read.

So what you are saying is that everyone is concerned because the M5 is rumored to possibly only be offered with DCT (and that is all the artical was talking about)?

I figured the artical was talking about an auto gearbox WITH a torque converter like the 8-speed auto with paddles currently offered in the F10 5-series. Well no worries, A DCT Automatic (as you call it) or even an SMG Automatic (as you call it), will be a fine transmission for the new M5, IMO.

///Cheers
Appreciate 0