View Single Post
      03-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #184
Glock 32
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The DCT is an automatic. People are still pissed off because there won't be any manual transmission. Is that hard to comprehend?

Yes, Motortrend's original diatribe about why the M5 will supposedly get the 8 speed ZF slushbox instead of the 7 speed Getrag DCT (or some further evolution thereof) was a big fat load of B.S. to begin with.

DCT is NOT an Automatic, "Bud".

I really think you are missing the point and only adding confusion by calling a DCT an automatic transmission when it is definately not. Let me go back and read it... (Yip, they do not classify DCT as an automatic in the article and that is CLEAR). THE POINT OF THE ARTICLE is that only an Automatic AND NOT A NON-AUTOMATIC such as DCT will be offered (wheter it is a bogus article or not is another story).

Keep, keeping it real, "Bud"...

Quote:
Since spy shots first appeared last summer of the F10 BMW M5, it has been clear it will be the first M car available only with a fully automatic transmission, with manumatic controls of course. The spy shots were of the “planned leak” variety, allowing spy photographers to peek inside the next M5’s cabin. The transmission mated to the twin-turbo, gas direct-injection 4.4-liter V-8 will be a ZF eight-speed automatic, with no manual or twin-clutch transmission offered.

The X5 M and X6 M come with automatics, of course, but we’re counting them as crossover/utility vehicles.

Word is that BMW tried to adapt the Getrag M Dual Clutch Transmission (M DCT) for the F10 M5. M is tipped to have tuned the car’s twin-turbo V-8 to more than 550 horsepower. Although the torque number remains unknown, it’s obviously too high for the M DCT. BMW M discovered that the transmission would have to be beefed up with bigger actuators, which would slow down the transmission’s response time. The only way it could have worked was with an extensive redo of the M DCT. So BMW’s M division chose to go with the eight-speed manumatic only.
One competitor still offers both fully manual and fully automatic transmissions, the Cadillac CTS-v, while the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG and its predecessors have long been manumatic-only.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/2012-bmw-m...#ixzz1FN159hHu
Quote:
And I stopped reading right there, bud. No offense of course, I just know you are all wrong here, so there's no point in going further and nothing more to discuss on that topic. I've gotten PM's thanking me for keeping it real with my posts in this thread, so I'll continue to do so, and you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
There are none yet. That's exactly my point. You just made some up:

Speculation is fun for some folks. It makes for lively discussion. If you aren't enjoying the discussion, there's no reason you have to participate.

Last edited by Glock 32; 03-01-2011 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0