View Single Post
      09-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Safety and 315 km/h

Prelude: Saw an amateur video of a fatal roll-on crash of a 2006 Dodge Viper (tuned to 900 hp) with both driver and passenger being dead. Viper was ahead of 458 Italia line when it braked momentarily and immediately turned left and hit the wall, eventually losing control of the car completely and rolling over several times. It's said the speed was well over 250 km/h.

I've driven M6 (E63) and M5 (F10) well over speedometer 300 km/h occasionally, with the latter being driven 287 km/h on a slippery autobahn as snow was falling and I could see my trails in the mirror. Many people do high-speed driving on autobahns and other safe controlled environments, but the question is - are these cars engineered and thoroughly tested for these speeds? I have the driver's package on my car so the limited top speed is 315 km/h but seeing a Viper (supercar with known poor handling) crash into a wall for no apparent reason makes me think things over.

The question is: What can make our M5 F10 lose control at such high speeds if the road is straight and dry (wind, tire issues, jammed brakes)?

I've read for the M5 F10 family and their dog which survived the 300 km/h autobahn crash because of another careless driver joining the highway. I've also seen the M5 commercial where the BMW test driver is drinking coffee while looking at his 315 km/h on his speedometer.
Appreciate 0