06-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #56
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
If only that were true. It's all about image and reputation. The Prius continues to outsell all competitors largely on reputation (it looks like a practical joke), not the way it drives.

Tesla will continue to give off the tree hugger, pious image. BMW will retain their image too.
Tesla's reputation is based on them mostly being the leader and for the longest time the only option out there. Just for a second imagine that every other brand had identical tech and charging network (yes I know, but they don't), for sure they wouldn't be nearly as successful as they are today.

Now, I'm not trying to knock Tesla, they've done fine job getting to the point where they are, but things are to get a lot more difficult for them. They better be ready and deliver, tech and quality and more models too. Things you could as a buyer ignore in the past due to cool tech they had now will become more important if others start offering similar/competitive range and technology.

Other guys are ahead in proven various models (body wise) manufacturing and distribution network and perhaps cash in the bank and R&D teams too. As I said, I think this is to become a lot more interesting in next few years. As a consumer, competition can only mean good things to come.
Appreciate 0