View Single Post
      06-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #64
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
This is pure conjecture on my part, but from my point of view, the whole electric car thing is a massive farce from the perspective of helping the environment.

If you get your electricity from a power plant that burns coal, is there much difference between a Prius and an M3? Perhaps there is...but it doesn't seem very obvious to me.

Now if you're talking about hydrogen, which is the most abundant element in the universe and only produces water as it's being used as a fuel....well, that makes some sense. Of course the gas/oil companies don't want that, and the global network of fuel transportation and procurement would have to change, but utilizing a truly clean burning fuel should move that environmental needle much more effectively.

Electric cars feel like an enormous marketing exercise, nothing more.
Depends upon what part of the country you live in. If your electric power is hydropower based you are being pretty environmentally friendly. It will be interesting to see how things shake out in the next ten years, maybe hydrogen will eventually be the fuel of the future.
Appreciate 0