09-15-2011, 04:30 AM   #7
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh View Post
I doubt the bad steering feel has anything to do with the 'electronic steering'.

My race shop uses it in all the Porsche Cup Cars, and it saves horsepower and weight. The steering linkage is exactly the same, but the power steering pump that is driven by a belt is replaced with an electric pump. Pretty simple, saves the horsepower loss from driving a pump, and doesn't affect the steering feel at all.

I'm just glad the M5 is using a different steering system than the other F10 cars. I've heard pretty bad feedback on their handling and steering feel.
It's not an electric pump, it's an electric motor. Any input from the steering wheel is routed through a control/computer unit before the motor can react and move the rack accordingly. No matter how short, a slight delay must be incurred, resulting in the widely reported numbness.
With a hydraulic system, the operating force is permanently on-tap and is controlled by a simple pilot valve on the servo, directing pressure to either side of the ram immediately as required.
Granted, it saps more horsepower as the pump is always turning and the system is also heavier, but it results in sharper steering and provides greater feedback.
Appreciate 0