View Single Post
      08-11-2015, 11:28 PM   #12
Aussiefishy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I agreed it is somewhat a waste to not making the best use of a fast car, but I don't think you can meaningfully make "use" of 570 hp anywhere on public roads.

I cannot eliminate the fact that status symbol being a part of the reason people buy fast cars! Hack I think it is perfectly okay to have a status symbol in life, as long as you work hard for it. It is a celebration of your hard work!

As I have said, to each it's own. People buy cars or toys for different reasons, just because a person drives a race capable car doesn't mean they have a public duty to drive fast everywhere or have to redline the thing on a daily, nor they have to love to drive fast.

How often do you see a Ferrari or a Porsche (which both brands produce cars that are more track focused and are meant to be driven fast) redline their cars on a daily basis or race their toys?

I agreed that there are much better alternatives than a M5 if you drive fast all the time or for race track duty. However speaking only from my experience I bought the vehicle because it looks mature and mean, comfortable and quiet when I want to safely get home after a long day of work, and plenty fast if I want to attend a track day or feel some crazy acceleration when the lights turn green.

I like to know the limits of what my car is capable of, that is why I go to BMW drivers training and M events/power tour. You drive a fast car or your fancy race prepped spaceship because you can. In life terms or financial terms.

Btw, I used to own a E71 50i tuned so I can attest that the 550 power plant is plenty quick.
Appreciate 0