View Single Post
      05-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #90
brainblade
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

When the f10 flatform was released, most agreed universally that since it is based on the 7 series, it is too heavy and bulky. Keep in mind the 550i has as much power than an e39 m5, and more torque than an e60. Roads in the northeast are terrible and Bmw has been manufacturing an x6m and x5m for some time. So its fair to say that the while the brand(m Brand) is still powerful its very much diluted and competition for both internally and among brands has improved. I havent considered power mods to my f10 m5 because traction always kicks in as is so its more than adequately powered. when i was to a bmwcca event in jersey before they released the x5m, an exec at bmw said when referring to the x5m, "this car has to sell to be a success"

I drove my m5 around the new york all winter with the standard michelin pilots. I did not have a problem but had to be very cautious and never actually drove when the roads where not plowed. im not sure awd would have made a buying difference. It seems hoever that awd is an industry standard now but im not convinced awd will get the m5 to the sales numbers they expect or want going forward. the overall economy is worse than it was ten years ago and people at least in the new york area are less interested in high end cars or the perception that comes with them.

i think horsepower wars have caused diminishing returns, meaning that
a bump from 300 to 450hp is meaningful for everyday driving...but to go from a 550i's 400hp to 560hp of the m5 you start to hear, "why do u need all that power..so if the next generation goes from 560-620, will people be more inclined to buy it and will sales numbers grow? im not so sure...

my advice or opinion(what i wrote in an earlier post) is that the car may be getting too expensive for its class.. why are e63 and m5s all discounted heavily? i think largely becauyse theyre nit priced correctly--theyre 10-15 grand too expensive for a 5 series platform. Ive suggested peers at work look into an m5 and the marginal buyer says, "cant i get a loaded 7 series for that price.?" well we know the 7 series is a different car but thats how the marginal buyer thinks.

Personally i think the next generation m has to be dumbed down if they want to sell more. the emphasis on technoogly is great but it turns people off including women. I offered the car to my parents who are taking a road trip and my mother said " no, we dont know how to use it". she drives a 2004 e320, and has a perception that bmw cars and my car are too sophisticated. Second, the next gen has to be smaller and lighter. third baseline pricing has to be in mid 80s. Finally--THE SUSPENSEFUL TWO YEAR ROLLOUT CANT HAPPEN AGAIN.
Appreciate 0