08-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyrivo View Post
I heard there are no speed limits on German Autobahn, I dont know is that true but if it is it's not normal, it's pure luck they survived at this speed, anyway well build machine.
Yes, that is true. Most autobahns have NO speed limit. You may drive as fast as you like(or dare) given the road conditions and the condition of your car(tires/brakes/handling, etc).

BUT... even on autobahns where there is no speed limit... the government recommends you to drive at 130 kph. IF you choose to drive faster... AND you get into an accident - your insurance company might not pay for the damages - IF it's your fault. THIS is why people with small <1.0 liter micro cars drive very slow(~130 kph or slower, min speed on the autobahn is 60 kph)) on the autobahn. While faster cars like MB's/BMW's/Audi's/Porsche's you will see cruising at 130 mph and faster.

It is not all that uncommon to see a fast car go by at 150 to 190 mph while "normal" traffic flows at 90 to 120 mph. Trucks are limited to 80 kph(42 mph) and then you mix in faster traffic. It all works!!

AND.... this M5 crash did NOT happen on the autobahn! It happened on a curvy, bumpy country road where the speed limit was most 100kph max. Could have had a 80 kph limit too - IDK. By the looks of the skid marks - the driver was at least going double those speeds. Maybe even faster!!

alleyrivo you might enjoy these videos of mine... what it is like to drive on autonbahns(highways) with no speed limit!

Driving around in Germany/Autobahns (videos inside!)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424388

Dackel
Appreciate 0