03-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
I'll take Car and Driver's M5 bashing with a grain of salt. If all the negatives they are saying about the M5 were 100% true then every car enthusiast magazine will say the same thing and we have found that is not the case. For whatever reason, Car and Driver has been bashing the M5 since day 1 and all praises for the S6. Personally, I have tried all the other models cited by other posters here such as the S6, CTS-V, etc. and still settled for the M5 for 1 reason or another. Even my friends who own those other car models and have tried the M5 say that they wish they had the M5 ("the other man's grass is always greener"). Of course other car models may have features the M5 may not have and likewise, the M5 can claim features those other model cars don't have. Those other car models have strong points too much like the M5 and they are all good cars. It all boils down to driver's preference. I have long cancelled my subscription to Car and Driver as I have found out that their reviews are not impartial and is always biased for 1 particular manufacturer and lately it has been with Audi, which makes you think that there probably is an ulterior motive or may be in Audi's payroll. I would not trust the Editor or writers of Car and Driver as paragon of truthfullness.
I agree that some of the car mags are out of whack with what the true perception is by the motoring enthusiast. This is the same case for the ZR1 which repeatedly whoops up on the overly starched and traditional performance benchmark cars and yet the car mag guys find reasons to pick the Ferrari, Porsche or etc. as the "better car". There are many reasons to pick another brand whether you are considering performance, looks, overall quality, price, availability and other criteria. But, usually, as is the case with M5 buyers, they have tried, bought, regretted not buying etc., only to go back to the M and wait for the right time in their life to take the dive. I have a friend who is a diehard Merc fan and between he and his wife owned 5 of the most popular current models (all black). I gave him a ride in my old E60 M5 one day and he was converted and slowly traded all but 1 of his Mercs for BMW products. He said he really didn't know why he had never considered owning an M car but he is a loyal fan now.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0