Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
Just did this last week. It is not too bad, followed some tips from a E9X M3 owner:

1. Don't use dental floss or fishing line to remove the OEM spoiler. Use the nylon strapping used to hold packaging together. Go to Staples or Office Depot and ask for some - the'll have it from the boxes left over from the office chairs they build. - EDITED...see that you are in the UK...don't know if you have the two office supply places that I suggested.

2. After the spoiler is off, heat up the remaining tape. I didn't have a heat guy, so I used a hair dryer. Get it started, then use the tape which you removed to grab and remove more tape. The OEM stuff is seriously sticky. Use a rolling and pulling motion. Enjoy the blisters on your fingers once you are done!

3. Clean the trunk well to remove any last bit of residue. I used denatured alcohol, and then immediately used quick detailer to remove any alcohol residue.

4. Tape the inside of the spoiler as shown...be sure to clean it well, and run the tape as close to the edge as possible, and where there is a false edge, set the tape back just a little. To be honest, I think my tape is not quite far enough to the outer edge - the side that fits on the top of the trunk. Get it closer than mine.

5. Test fit before pulling the red backing off the 3M tape. I put painters tape on the rear deck to make sure I had the corners in the proper place and it centered (marked on trunk and spoiler) for reference.

Here are a couple snaps of the taped spoiler, and the results.

Taped up the spoiler tonight just like yours and I will test fit it tomorrow. I noticed you only have one strip of tape, does the spoiler sit at angle angle such that the inner portion of the spoiler won't even touch the trunk lid? I was wondering if I should use two rows of tape on the side touching the trunk.
Appreciate 0