View Single Post
      12-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

If a customer rather than an employee backed into your car, it will be that customer's insurance that will be responsible, and then yours if that person is uninsured. I'm not an expert here but I don't think the dealership is responsible for damage while they have the car if they're not the cause of it. If a dealership employee backed into your car, it would be the dealership's insurance that would cover it.

I don't think it's unusual for a dealer to recommend you get those types of issues repaired elsewhere. They're service stations, not body shops. If you said you wanted "them" to do it, they'd just take it to a body shop they partner with. Just find a reputable body/paint shop. If it were me I'd actually WANT to take it to a shop of my choosing even if they offered to fix it.

I don't think they owe you a loaner if it was a random customer that caused the issue, and especially if you'll be getting it fixed at another shop. You may be able to get the customer's insurance (or your own) to cover the cost of a rental though.

Sorry for the damage though! The first day I drove my first car to work, the person in the adjacent parking spot put a huge scrape in my right rear door and quarter panel. She did leave a note though, so that was nice. And then when I had 800 miles on my M3 I accidentally scraped a Suburban's bumper which put a huge scratch in my own rear bumper, which I paid out of pocket to fix. The Suburban was fine since it had an unpainted bumper not attached to the body.

EDIT: To the above post about body shop repairs elsewhere posing warranty issues, to deny a future warranty claim they'd have to be able to show that the failure could've been caused by poor workmanship on this repair, which I just don't see being possible on the types of repairs involved with backing into a car.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 12-10-2012 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0