View Single Post
      09-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #105
jgarvish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 Cayman S & '13 BMW M5

Thanks to everyone for their views on this. I'm interested in the contrary position to mine as I would really like to have my mind changed but so far I haven't heard any arguments that suffice to ease my concerns. I think it's important to remember that this isn't a used vehicle that we all were purchasing hoping that no one wrecked it or mistreated it leading to serious engine problems. I buy my cars new because I plan to keep them for a long time and do not have an interest in being saddled with a car with serious engine issues. Our (or at least my) intent and expectation was to buy a state of the art brand new problem free car with presumably no design problems that could lead to catastrophic engine failure. I was in Munich at the same time as Barry and was very distraught when his engine failed. To be honest I was hoping that the failure was because he abused the car or otherwise mistreated it. That's obviously not the case now that BMW has instituted this recall and I'm not convinced that even BMW knows what the real problem is. Further, I'm disturbed that they have not been truthful about the reason that they found out about this problem as a poster mentioned earlier in this thread. In addition, BMW has stopped production and apparently doesn't even currently have the part to fix the issue available. This is a sign of a very big issue IMHO and I think the clear implication is that BMW had not done enough testing if they identified this problem only after one of the very first US customers took delivery - and that customer had driven only a 100 or so miles and did this driving well within the break in limits. My suspicion is that this is a sign of a bigger problem and at the very least I have lost confidence in this car. If others have different or contrary thoughts on this I welcome those insights. If folks agree with me I also welcome those thoughts.
Appreciate 0