Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP & '14 X5 50i

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
2011 Ford F250 4x4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Joe_M5 View Post
I'm ready for my break-in service and the service advisor is pretty certain that from a performance perspective, it's a non-event. Some fluid top-ups including a differential flush but that's it. An uneventful 45 minute service.

Is that it? Or does the programming of the car enable any other goodies like removing any rev limitations after 2,000km? I'm confused.

Yup, your confused.

When the mechanic resets the 1,200 mile / 2,000km the car is now able to archive it's full potential. Top speed will be moved from 136mph to 155 or 190 mph (if you have the Competition Package) and Heaven knows what else.

In speaking with the Senior Service advisor at BMW Las Vegas what ever is changed happens with the reset of the 1,200 mile / 2,000 km pointer in the car. The oil the M5 shipped with is the same oil they replace it with. There is no "break in" oil in a new M5.

I'd suspect only the inner circle at the BMW factory could tell you exactly what changes; however changes do occur.

Think about it for a minute. The M5 engine is built by ONE person: BMW is not going to let the buyer blow it up just because the buyer was dumb enough to try and race it with 200 miles on it. The fluid changes do what all fluid changes do, remove metal particles etc. that could be left from engine mfg. The "chip changes" are another mater; however they do occur.

There is no doubt that an M5 with or without the Competition Package (CP) that has had the 1,200 mile service will out preform a similar M5 that has not had the 1,200 mile service.