Thread: Active Sound
View Single Post
      03-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
mdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Active Sound

The new M5 is certainly a great, maybe an epic car. Supercar acceleration, the most luxurious M5 ever, and beats the crap out of the E60 and most cars on the track. All this for around $100K.

Amazing.

But nothing is perfect, and for me, the big issue is Active Sound. I can understand this doesn't matter to a lot of people, and that's great. But who says you have to think every single thing about your car is great? Not me. My E60 M5 was the best car I've ever had - 130,000 miles worth. But the SMG sucked. Compared to the DCT in the M5 it was borderline consumer abuse.

I don't understand people talking about 'haters' complaining about Active Sound, and saying 'I love the engine sound'. Well, you're not hearing your engine sound. It's ok to not care, and that's probably the best reason to not worry about it. But the "I love the engine sound" is ridiculous. I love the new M5, but the Active Sound does suck, and like the SMG, maybe BMW will do something about it if there is enough noise (real) from enthusiasts.

Last edited by mdh; 03-05-2012 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: change
Appreciate 0