View Single Post
      12-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #155
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG M3 (SOLD), '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgtrs2007 View Post
The new M5 outperforms the old M5 in every performance aspect. It is arguably the best car BMW makes right now. For all the haters that are trashing BMW M, there is truth that the division is geared more towards marketing and sales, but who can argue with that, BMW is a company and is run like a business. That's not however mutually exclusive from making incredibly capable cars. To me M cars were about the total package, not whether it could lap a circuit faster than any other competitor. After driving an M3 and now an M5, I would never consider a regular series BMW, that is just how good M cars are. And for those who continue to complain about the direction of M division, I hope that you don't just listen to forum banter but rather go and drive these cars and evaluate them yourselves. If you don't like them, buy something else.
So you just want to pose around in a M5 in other words. An "M" car has a true motorsports heritage, a car that is capable of delivering respectable high performance on the track as well as regular driving. Yet its track numbers suggests otherwise. Also the fact that something like an S6 (in the same class as a M550) can hang with it was chosen over the M5 in a recent comparo says a lot about the way the M division is heading. And yes, I have driven the new M5. And like most complaints out there I find it extremely isolated in terms of driving dynamics. It simply doesn't feel all that special. Heck if I didn't know it was a M5, I could have sworn it was just any 5series with a sport package.
Appreciate 0