View Single Post
      04-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #34
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

I am certain a power increase is coming for the M5 to compete with the E63 S due out soon. Not to mention BMW has been jumping through its ass trying to fix the M5 since it started losing comparison tests as soon as it debuted. The fact that car has been on sale in the U.S. for less than a year and it is already getting the LCi treatment is evidence that BMW realizes that it shit the bed with this one.
The arms race of ever-increasing power is getting faintly ridiculous in this segment. We are now looking at sport sedans with around 600hp coupled to enough electronics to run NASA in order to ensure that their owners don't launch them into a hedge the first time out. This package is all about perception and appearances and has nothing to do with real-world capability. Really, what is the point of adding 20bhp to a car that already has close to 600 crank? What is the point of $10,000 carbon ceramic brakes on a large sedan that weighs 64 million pounds? I'm sure tons of M5s are going to be track rat cars There is a reason most Porsche track nuts have gone away from the carbon ceramics on their 911 GTwhatevers and replaced them with steel discs.
Now if they actually manage to fix the steering with this LCi then it will have been worthwhile. The M5 is a truly impressive machine with a few fatal flaws when measured against its rivals. I'm just skeptical that this hasty fix will address what is really wrong with it.
Appreciate 0