View Single Post
      11-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #38
star21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 en route

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I think my post came across the wrong way and perhaps I was venting a bit based partly on the pics of that car from Europe (gold, really?!) and that I've just been fortunate (or unfortunate!) to have witnessed a few F10 M5 deliveries recently. Lots of adjectives come to mind - none really nice. Maybe it's the area here? I don't know.

It just seems like almost every person I've talked to locally taking ownership of one of these cars is doing it for the badge and not the "soul" of the car. The most recent - a frozen white owned by a complete douchenozzle - actually gave me the waterfall look when he saw me standing next to my car. Adding insult to injury, he proceeded to mention that I "must make a good living" to afford the car. When I told him I paid for it cash, he shut up. But not until after he mentioned that he's going with DPE wheels, AC Schnitzer aero and the Akrapovic exhaust. When I asked why, he said they're the most expensive parts one can buy so they have to be the best.

Not the first time. Maybe I need a new dealer to hang out at.

As for price, I paid $6K for the Akrapovic - before I cancelled. Didn't think it was that bad, really. Just wasn't a fan of it or the carbon tips. They look bizarre to me. Not in a bad sense, just in a sense that they don't flow with the design in my opinion.

To each their own I suppose, beauty of course being in the eye of the beholder. Some people enjoy a subtle look, while others want a sportier look.

I can't imagine living in S.F. can be anywhere near cheap. The "well-to-do" I can, however, imagine with a sour attitude are out there no matter where you go. Take pride in knowing those people probably won't ever put the car to great use anyway.

As far as the exhaust goes, the Akrapovic does seem to be highly popular (maybe just because of the carbon tips or it could also be because of Akrapovic's quality and BMW's choice to run it on the Moto GP safety car) but that over popularity could just very well be the straw that broke the camel's back for your decision to go with the Eisenmann.

From a performance standpoint, the Akrapovic exhaust diameter piping layout does look real close to stock size so I can't see how it'd be that much of an increase in power. The key benefit compared to other exhausts on the market would be the titanium weight reduction factor. The Eisenmann I'm not a fan only that it appears the middle section - albeit larger - is pressed flat in several places for fitment clearance. I'm not sure how this would affect performance but I can't see how it wouldn't affect the exhaust flow characteristics in some way, shape, or form. Other than that, the system looks and SOUNDS lovely.
Appreciate 0