View Single Post
      04-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #38
ramuman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBMW View Post
Great writeup. Thanks. However, the track at Spartanburg is pretty tight and not that big, so that is why I suspect you came to the conclusion that the M3 was a better track car than the M6. However, I believe that at a track that is not as tight, and longer, the M6 would shine much more, easily outrun the M3, and you would see a greater difference between the M5 and the M6 -- weighs less, and much better aerodynamics.

I have driven both the E92 M3 and F13 M6 (previously owned an E46 M3, now own a F13 M6, and drove a F10 M5 180 mph on the autobahn and raced it at Limerock), and to drive the M6 fast one has to manhandle it bit more, and be prepared to feel like you are driving more on the edge. I was at Limerock in October (where they did not have M6's, only M3's, M5's and 1 Series M's), but in an F10 M5 I was easily catching the E92 M3's.
Even on the tighter ///M school course, the instructors told me the M5 is about 1.5-2s faster than the M3 on the long course used at the end of day 1. The instructor's general consensus was that people like the M3 because it's lighter and has less torque to get in trouble with. Polling the instructors, it was about 50/50 between the M5 and M3 as far as what they preferred.
Appreciate 0