11-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
I totally agree that a car stereo system is not the place to listen to hi-fidelity music. Also most listeners won't really bother about true fidelity and may have a hard time discering music encoded in a lossy or a non-lossy way. Also, the kind of music being played will have a big role as one will have a hard time telling the difference with pop/rock music. But that is besides the point. Personally, I store my music especially the classical ones in my iPhone/iPod in ALAC so I can carry it with me and play it in my hi-fidelity system or at my friends and now in my M5 with the B&O system.

And to answer whether or not I can tell if the music is saved as an ALAC or a 320Kbps mp3 when played on my M5 sound system, the answer is a definite yes. I had anticipated this in preparation for the European Delivery and recorded in ALAC and 360Kbps MP3 Dmitri Shostakovitch's Symphony No. 1. I had an assistant randomly choose what to play without my knowledge and I was able to tell which one was recorded in ALAC 100% of the time. When I did the the test the other way, wherein I did the random choosing, my assistant was only able to tell 40% of the time which was within the realm of probability/guessing. BTW, my assistant is more into pop/rock music rather than classical.
You, sir, have impressive ears and fine taste. I love Shostakovich's first symphony as well as his string quartets. I typically listen to rock and jazz in the car leaving my classical music for dedicated listening sessions in my home. As for the B&O, I was close to including this option but I balked at the price. I thought for nearly 4k it was an aesthetic addition more than anything else. Perhaps I was mistaken. The stock stereo is fine for my purposes so I'll just have to keep my serious listening sessions at home.
Appreciate 0