09-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly-dee View Post
So I guess it is safe to say that the 20-25% less power rumor prior to breakin service is BS? Assuming that you skipped that step?

I don't believe that the car has reduced power during the break-in period. BMW often runs cars to redline on chassis dynos before shipping cars to the customer and ultimately break-in is complete very soon after an engine is first run.

With that being said, I would still suggest that our clients follow BMW's suggested break-in procedure simply from a liability and warranty standpoint, but our own M5 will be modified well beyond the point where any future resale is possible, so break-in is not a concern for us.

I do believe that 4th gear's longer operating time on the dyno resulted in a touch more compensation for temperature and heat soak. This is likely why results were inconsistent in 4th. Ultimately our goal was to obtain a repeatable and consistent data set that we can use as a benchmark against future tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I think so. At this point I've seen almost a dozen dyno runs with the same results.

I would agree. Many of our clients are making well over 500 wheel horsepower on dynojet dynos.