Thread: M5 to i8
View Single Post
      09-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Well, if you could only choose between the M5 and i8? I'd pick the i8 - as said above, it definitely makes a statement, and I find it intriguing on some level.

But for the money, there are so many other options open to you. Personally, I find the styling just "ok" - it's an attractive car, but it's not "lust over it all day" beautiful to me. And the philosophy of the car isn't compatible with my desires right now - the hybrid electric drive on much more powerful cars like a 918 or LaFerrari? Sure. But the i8, at only around 3,500 pounds and $140k+, should be a 3.5s 0 - 60, 500hp+ exotic in my mind... but it's not. It's styled like one, though. Instead, you still get a "quick" car, making 357hp combined, thin tires melting on the track, and an electric motor giving out after 3 laps in testing. So for me, it feels like "more show than go" in a science project package. I applaud BMW for an aggressive endeavor, but my impression is it's not a hard-core package that'll give you what the M5 can - or any number of competitors in the price range, including compelling options like a 911 S or lightly optioned Turbo in that general price range. I chose an R8 V10 - while lacking the back seats of a 2+2 like the i8 or 911, it provides power that matches the design, and it's usable on a track - traits I feel the i8 lacks. It's no wonder so many people are hoping BMW still releases a powerful petrol version of the car.

Like I said, if you had to choose solely between the M5 and i8, I'd probably opt for the i8 given its novelty and switching up your experience. But if you were generally in the market for a powerful sports car, and you were looking to spend $140k or $150k, I don't think I would pick the i8 over the other wonderful options out there.
Appreciate 0