View Single Post
      02-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #95
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Matt makes some good points. His problem is that he often oversteps his area of knowledge, which results in him looking like a dope (he's not). He's also prone to contrary opinions. Not a lot of reviewers criticize the DCT on the basis that it's "not a very good automatic". They might dislike it on a principle basis -- sports cars should have manual gearboxes, they'll say -- but very, very few people criticize dual-clutch boxes for being poor automatics.

A good reviewer pays service to context. You can't evaluate the DCT against a torque converter automatic without making the context clear. What's puzzling is, I felt Matt made that clear in this (rather short) video. He said that it's great on the track, but not so great in stop/start traffic. In other words, I think this particular review was not an example of a contrary or contradictory viewpoint. The truth is, even though the DCT is a great auto-manual transmission, it's possible to catch it off guard around town or in stop-and-go traffic. Also, the uptake of the clutch pack in a dual-clutch gearbox isn't as smooth and consistent as a torque converter.

A lot of viewers seemed to have confused his "stop/start traffic" with the A.S.S. system in the M5. I don't believe that's what he was talking about, which clears up a lot of the confusion.

I thoroughly disagree with him on the iDrive comments, but that's an opinion. Tastes in infotainment systems run the gamut. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it. Pulling out an example of poor routing is a bit disingenuous, because all systems suffer from that problem, but otherwise, it's down to whether or not you like the system.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0