sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Who makes CCB for less than $8,000?
Because these Brembo's where WAY more than $8,000!!
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694545
These are CCM-R. Same ones used in the Ferrari 458 Challenge cars. So it is not the same as the M5/M6 ceramics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I wouldn't recommend an aftermarket setup since I figure the ABS and DSC systems would need to be recalibrated in order to function properly with carbon ceramic given they have vastly different properties -- unless you can also find someone who knows how to code the car appropriately.

And all of this completely ignores that point that for a street car, carbon ceramics are ALL downsides except for reduced brake dust. Otherwise, you'll be dealing with squealing, obscenely expensive brake replacement (which I suspect will actually hurt resale from prospective second owners not wanting to have that looming on the horizon), and very fragile rotors that have to be replaced at huge cost if they're nicked by road debris or while mounting/unmounting a wheel. Carbon ceramic has no place on a street car IMHO, and even track junkies on the Porsche side end up switching back to a steel after damaging or wearing out a couple rotors because of the obscene cost. A steel BBK can often deliver similar fade resistance to carbon ceramic at a fraction of the cost.
No recoding requires for Brembos. The M5/6 is supposed to be a new type and supposed to have overcome the PCCB problems. The massive unsprung improves handling, comfort, usable hp and efficiency. 40lbs of unsprung is substantial. However, i don't know how long it will last still, and if this CCM is trackable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You can get the carbon ceramic rotors for $3,000-4,000??? I'd like to know where.

No improvement in stopping distance. They're suppose to last longer, BUT ONLY if you use the proper pads. The Porsche guys found out the hard way when they put on track pads on the ceramic rotors and killed them in a couple track events.
The only other improvement is weight savings, like someone said above.
That's why many PCCB guys went back to steel, and some Ferrari guys gone to Mov'it. The CCM-R on Powerbeasts are new brakes that have overcame the earlier problems of PCCBs. The Ferrari Challenge CCM-R last a whole season or 5000 track miles.

Not sure if the CCM-Rs are available for the M5s yet, but they would be superior to the optional Ceramics. It would be a bit costly though.
Appreciate 0