View Single Post
      03-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #97
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Yo Dave that sound is bada** but there is NO WAY that it is quiet in the cabin. :-) I have the E-Race and on day 1 I convinced myself that I couldn't really hear it but after a few days I realized I was fooling myself. The F10, like you said, is WAY more insulated from noise than the E60 (my RPI GTS got on my nerves at times I did not want to roar) but you definitely hear those exhausts (RARE-but there were definitely some times). Your sound is AMAZING but I think people who are concerned about the "luxury" side of things in terms of quiet will HATE it-no?-lol!

You are right about the shorter cold start. The F10 does seem to settle down much quicker. Honestly, my wife does not like the E-Race at all. It is too noisy to her (I think she is jaded from the memories of that V10 with the RPI :-) I am switching mine out to a modified BMW exhaust and downpipes tomorrow. I am not doing this because of noise. I am doing it because the whole setup is perfectly performance matched with my tune. I like the throaty sound of the E-Race but for a time I did have the OEM mufflers with the valves wired open and it did give a nice sporty sound that I COULD hear in the cabin, just not at idle. The cold start actually sounded quite nice and refined. The new setup should be slightly louder but a big drop from the E-Race.

On that note...I have a NEW set of E-Race (not installed-this is a different set that I ordered and have not yet used. Returning current set to IND). It is the 90mm round with custom matte black powdercoated cans and gloss black powdercoated tips with a Silverstone M logo if anyone might be interested (not jackin your thread here-thought a few guys here are considering upgrades so I'd throw it out there. Hope you don;t mind.)

BTW-your car looks FREAKING AWESOME. I absolutely LOVE the blacked out touches you have done with the IND stuff (I assume itis IND). It is one of the best looking F10 M5s I have seen. It looks sleek and mean. I have the pics from your latest pic thread up on my other monitor and am about to show it to my wife. I think I want to move and I am going to show her just how pretty my M5 might look with some of those San Diego backdrops.

Mike
Actually having had the GTM on my car for a couple of weeks now, I can definitely say that compared to even the RPi GT exhaust on the E60 M5 that the GTM on the F10 M5 is TOO quiet for me! Yes you all heard that right! Lol! The drone is a little louder with the GTM but it's not crazy like the E60 was. I personally love the drone, it gives the car more personality and race car feeling. My dad visited me last weekend and I had him in my passenger seat over 3 days of driving around SoCal. He is getting on in age, almost 55 years old now, and said that the exhaust was too loud for him on the outside, but not that bad on the inside, especially if I stayed out of the drone range. When you are out of the drone range it's actually quite quiet. With the Bang & Olufsen turned up to dancing in your car volume, you can't hear the GTM at all.

Oh yeah and the only IND stuff I have on my car is the blacked out front reflectors in the bumper. I got the matte black grills from other sources. I plasti-dipped my door handle chrome (which has worked out ok so far, I didn't put enough coats on my first attempt, only 2, and it started peeling off after my car wash guys kept rubbing rags over it. So I applied 4 coats on one handle, and it appears to be holding up much better.) But yeah thanks for the compliments. A part of me still wishes that I had gotten the MCB but everybody keeps telling me how good my car looks. Oh and yes, if you have the opportunity to live in San Diego, it's awesome! It's supposed to be like 75 degrees here this weekend. It's still early March! Plus I love the fact that there are no bugs here in SoCal to committ suicide on your front bumper. If you ever are in town, let me know. The SoCal crew would love to have you over.

Appreciate 0