View Single Post
      12-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrotwro7 View Post
Curious if you are seeing a starvation problem from centrifugal force? Possibly the pump isn't getting enough happiness from the reservoir. Might explain why you see it under heavy acceleration and steering conditions?

Still, yikes...
I was doing slalom max 15-20 km/h, because of ice and snow the car was barely accelerating and there was almost no traction, so there was no stress on the car itself. Today after 3 short slalom circles it went completely down and didn't recover. Barely drove it to BMW service, making u-turns made me almost go off-road twice and my strength wasn't enough to pull it back on road, if not for traffic jams I'd have called a tow truck.

BMW service confirmed the problem and said it's likely a factory defect which became more evident after a short stress. They said that the filter in the pump leak metal or something. New new oil pump has been ordered and the car will stay in garage for a few weeks. Getting the impression this is the "businessman's autobahn car", was quite embarrassing when STI/Evolution/Civic and even Hyundais kept rolling through the slalom where a big M5 failed after a few tries.

Last edited by singularity; 12-07-2012 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0