10-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Racer Louis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm0515 View Post
I'm curious as to member experiences and plans on what the optimum (I'm relatively cost indifferent) speed defiance technology is that is most suitable to put into the F10 M5. I'd prefer to do a permanent install and would greatly appreciate advice from those that have been there done that. Thanks!
I don't think you'll find there is one 'best,' there may be several that are 'suitable.'

There are many variables that need to be considered and you need to decide which are most important to you. This is usually based upon where you live, the local & state laws, how the radar/laser systems are used by the authorities where you drive and what you want to defend yourself from (speeding, red light cameras, etc.).

In my case I live in California where anything that interferes with radar or laser (jammers) are illegal and they can tell when they're being jammed, so a jammer is not feasible for me. And because the police can tell they're being jammed it may piss them off and not help you! You don't want to be confronted by an angry cop!

For radar and laser detectors, none are perfect and each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Those with built-in and wireless databases are rarely accurate. They tend to be ok for permanently located radar and laser (ususally red light cameras) but they don't really work for handheld radar and laser guns. They also tend to warn you of places where the radar or laser has long ago been moved away.

In general, laser detectors also can't do a good job of protecting you. First almost all laser guns must be handheld by the operator to aim it at the specific vehicle targeted. But because of this they can't be used in a moving vehicle because they can't be 'hardmounted' to the vehicle like radar systems. They also aren't used in a 'always on' mode like most police use radar. They are used in an 'instant on' mode when the operator pulls the trigger after he/she aims at the target car. Also, the only time you'll get a warning when it isn't you being measured is if the laser beam happens to hit the vehicle ahead of you being measured at just the perfect angle to reflect directly to you detector. (That has happened to me once.) Unlike laser beams, radar beams spread out as they move away from the transmitter so the radar signals are pretty easy to detect when other cars are being measured.

But for me the best and most useful feature is the directional arrows in the Valentine 1. They tell you the direction (front, side or back) the radar is coming from. This, coupled with the rate the signal strength is changing (getting stronger, getting weaker or staying the same) tells you not only where the radar is coming from but whether it is stationary, moving toward you, moving away from you or driving in your direction of travel and about at your speed). The Valentine 1 also has laser detection but as discussed above it may not help much (nor would any other laser detector).

While the Valentine 1 has an optional remote display the receiver isn't made to be hidden. There are 'aftermarket' companies that sell mirrors, etc. with disassembled Valentine 1s hidden in them. But I've been using a Valentine 1 for over 15 years. On my current car it has been stuck to the middle of the windshield, above and to the left of the rear view mirror for 12 years. I never remove it and I've never had a problem. By the way, you want the radar receiver mounted as high as possible to maximize your detection range.

These are just my thoughts on the things I think you should consider. Good luck with your decision.

Finally, I won't tell you to drive "legally," (that's almost impossible with these cars) but please drive safely.
Appreciate 0