03-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Thanks clar, I agree - a big advantage the E60 and NA engines have overall. Driving my Porsche today for a long trip made me think about this article quite a bit - one thing that drains on me for long highway trips is the noticeable amount of road and wind noise that gets mixed into the interior. I now know where M was going with insulating the car and piping the sound into it, good ideas in practice. When testing the M5 in Spain I too wished for more aural pleasure, maybe an Akro exhaust will fix all that.
I don't think a louder exhaust is a solution. As it is, the F10 M5 is already quite loud, but on the outside. The car is too well insulated. I am not complaining cos it's a 5, it should be In my opinion, i feel that the soul of a car comes from the front. Induction note cannot be replaced by a louder exhaust. With the chosen route of going FI, it has become a necessary trade-off. In addition, going for a louder after market exhaust is like cranking up the volume while listening to music with ear plugs on. Too loud an exhaust would ruin the suave and balanced image of the M5.

Apart from induction note, i feel the M5 is pretty outstanding in most other areas. For me, i accept it as a necessary trade-off. People who can't get over the V10 should really just hang on to their E60 and live with all its other flaws. Nothing is perfect, which is why i intend to keep a NA (preferrably high revving) around in the family. As much as i am sure the next M3 will be a cracking drive, i am not sure if i want all my cars to be forced fed. I know for sure i will miss that beautiful induction note...
Appreciate 0