Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow M5 / M6 Oil Pump Recall FAQ and Affected VIN List

BIMMERPOST NEWS
M5 / M6 Oil Pump Recall FAQ and Affected VIN List
COMMENTS

Here is an FAQ provided by BMW to dealers on the M5/M6 oil pump issue:

* See original bulletin

Q1. Which models are affected by this Recall?

Affected are certain Model Year 2013 BMW M5, M6 Coupe, and M6 Convertible vehicles produced between July 2012 and September 2012.

Q2. What is the specific problem?

The issue involves the engine oil pump. The pump driveshaft can separate from the pump rotor. If this were to occur, the engine could experience a sudden loss of oil pressure which could cause severe engine damage.

Q3. Why are other models not affected?

It has been determined that only certain vehicles produced between July 2012 and September 2012 were equipped with an incorrectly manufactured oil pump.

Q4. How many vehicles are affected?

Approximately 696 vehicles in the US are potentially affected.

Q5. What can happen as a result of this issue?

A sudden loss of oil pressure could occur, as well as the possibility of severe engine damage.

Q6. Can the driver become aware of the problem?

Yes, if the vehicle experiences a sudden loss of oil pressure, a low oil pressure warning indicator is displayed in the instrument cluster, along with a warning message in the control display.

Q7. What corrective measures will be taken?

The engine oil pump will be replaced.

Q8. How did BMW become aware of the problem?

BMW became aware of the problem through its quality control procedures.

Q9. Is BMW aware of any accidents or injuries associated with the Recall?

No.

Q10. Can customers continue to drive their vehicles?

We recommend that owners of affected vehicles do not drive their vehicle until this Recall can be completed.
If the vehicle experiences a sudden loss of oil pressure, carefully pull over to the side of the road and shut off the engine.

Please contact BMW Roadside Assistance at 1-800-332-4269.

If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.

Q11. How will customers be informed of the Recall?

The BMW Customer Relations department is calling owners of affected vehicles, advising to them discontinue driving the vehicle until the Recall has been completed.

Subsequently, owners will receive a letter via First Class mail asking them to schedule an appointment with their authorized BMW center.

Q12. How will the Recall be performed?

Affected customers who make an appointment will have the engine oil pump replaced on their vehicle.

Q13. How long will therepair take?

This repair may take two and a half hours; however, additional time may be required depending upon the center’s scheduling and processing. The repair will be performed free of charge by your authorized BMW center.

Q14. How many vehicles have experienced this problem?

The exact number is unknown at this time.

Q15. When will I receive my owner notification letter?

Mailings are planned for October 2012.

Q16. Do I have to wait for my Recall letter in order to have my Recall performed?

Yes. BMW is in the process of implementing the Recall Campaign to ensure that the necessary parts are at the authorized BMW center prior to sending out the owner notification letters.

AFFECTED VIN# LIST is available below (download):

==> VIN List Download (PDF)

Attached Images
File Type: pdf VINS.pdf (69.8 KB, 7931 views)
Appreciate 1
moejoe7.50