07-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #153
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
I dont think that police and military only train for ideal clear conditions. If the only people allowed to carry guns always had to have that level of training, then maybe yes they could have stopped the shooter.

However, as the laws are now, I dont believe you have to undergo that level of training to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Lets assume that if you were in that theatre, you could remain relatively composed, and identify the bad guy to your background. You aim your gun at him. I'm also there, but I have no such background, although I do have a gun. The craziness of it all scares the shit out of me, and my untrained ear hears lots of shots coming from you (or the THX speaker), and I panic and decide that you are the bad guy since you might be wearing a batman costume which might resemble body armor, and shoot you while trying to do the right thing...

Through all the chaos, that may be true, but....shooting an ar15 indoors has a distinct and LOUD sound compared to a handgun. Also, if he was dumping mags or just very fast semi-auto, the muzzle flash alone from an ar15 is enough to spot the bad guy.
Appreciate 0