12-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
Write up of my recent H&R spring install

Hi, before taking this job on yourself, understand that I own a shop and have access to lots of different tools and equipment... please look over this write up before taking on a serious job such as this.... sometimes it's just easier to let the pros take care of it. Enjoy!

Obviously if you have access to a lift, hoist up your beast, performing this via the jack method will be a lot more difficult and dangerous.

I'll only illustrate one side of front and one side of rear, but they are identical. A simple look at our working area.

This is a picture of the sway link that will need to be removed to be able to remove the strut and replace the springs.

A shot of the mounting bolt on the control arm.

Method I used to remove the nut on the sway link.

Sway link seperated and moved to the side to allow removal of strut.

Tools used for sway link removal

A shot of the top mount of the strut

Start by popping off rubber boot

Carefully remove the EDC plug and make sure not to damage.

EDC PLUG

Three bolts that hold the strut in place, these will have to be removed.

Bolts removed and strut free

Tools necessary for removal of the bottom bolt and nut that attach strut to lower control arm. I suggest you use air tools in this case (very hard to do by hand)

Attach as shown and use the wrench to hold the nut in place as you impact the other end to remove the bolt.

Top of strut seperated from the frame.

This part is a little tricky, but with some down force on the rotor/hub assembly and some finessing of the strut itself and you should be able to gently force the strut assembly free of the hub assembly.

Strut assembly removed

A shot of the top of the strut and socket I used to remove the 'twelve point' nut

****IMPORTANT******
If you do not have access to one of these (spring compressor), stop and take your struts to a shop that has a spring compressor and have them do it for you for a nominal fee.... not worth losing an eye over... or worse, damaging your M5!!!! lol

Comparrison of the OEM spring and the H&R sport spring

Assemble the strut with the new H&R spring and use a impact gun to carefully snug the top nut

Reinstall the strut assembly and install mounting bolt and nut in lower control arm

Reinstall sway link

Align top mount to holes in frame. The srping will shift at this point with some force, get it nice and ligned up with the holes for easy reinstall.

Reinstall and tighten all bolts, and the EDC plugs and rubber boot... always be careful when handling the EDC wires and plugs.

LETS MOVE ON TO THE HARD PART.... THE REAR!!!!!

Pop the rear seat backs via latches in the trunk

Remove cap ends of rear seat by pulling on the top of the caps and then sliding out... the rear seat bottom can be easily popped out of place as well.

Once you release the end caps and rear seat backs, you will need to pull out four push tabs in the suede rear deck

Next you'll have to remove the AIRBAG cap to expose the screw holding the trim in place... this part really set me back... finding the screw was a PIA!!!

Once you remove the screws behind the caps, and you may or may not have to remove three 8mm screws in the trunk, that may or may not hold the sun shade in place (I removed them, but just as a precaution, always be careful, if it doesn't come easy, there's some thing wrong!) The rear deck should be easily slid out now!

CAUTION!!!!!!------ when the seatbelt housings are upside down, they will lock... the assemblies will think that the car is upside down... this is important when re-assembling the rear deck! You need to leave yourself room to be able to flip the rear deck and upright the seatbelt assy's.

You'll have to remove this screw to release the seatbelt assy.

This here is the rear strut mounting nuts and studs! Do NOT pull on the EDC wire on the rear struts!!!!!! They are perminantly attached... you will have to detach them from harness and fish them out with strut!!!!

This is a picture of what to expect in rear strut set up.... Take notice of the red arrows below. This stabalizing arm will need to be loosened and moved aside to be able to slide the strut assy out!!!!!!

This is the bolt that holds the strut connected to rear hub!.. Remove this.

Next you will loosen the top nuts to release the strut.

At this point you'll be able to work the rear strut out from behind the rear hub. Again pay close attention to not damage the EDC wire. You will need to again seperate the OEM spring from the strut assy, and install the new H&R spring, reassemble, and reinstall the strut assy with the new spring and reassemble the rear deck, seat backs, and other trim.

BELOW ARE SOME B4 and after pics... enjoy!!!!!

AFTER H&R SPRINGS