01-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #29
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Guys - I see some big issues with this:

1) If BMW makes an ECU update in conjunction with the 2014 LCI (which is likely), then you may get your ECU reflashed when you take the car in for service. When they do the spring recall, there may be a comprehensive vehicle reflash to change suspension programming. This will then cause the Performing Imports tune to be wiped out. Then you will need to fly Ron out again or you will be tuneless. It seems a stretch but this has happened before to people buying tunes from out of town vendors. Omar at Velos told me that he tuned an F10 550i for a guy in ATL and this issue occurred. The guy then would have to bring his car all the way back to MIA. You guys would face this risk with a vendor on the opposite coast.

2) At $4k it is probably the same price as what Dinan or BMW M will charge for their warrantied tunes. And those tunes can be easily replaced by your local BMW or BMW/Dinan dealer whenever you have your car serviced. The BMW M tune is VIN linked in BMWs systems so you never need to worry about it being over written by standard software.

3) I personally don't believe BMW USA will honor your powertrain warranty if you are running this tune.
Hmmm... Good points Stealth! Yeah that's why I stated that perhaps other tuners may be coming out with tunes this year, so one would have to consider that at as well. There's no official word that BMW M Performance Division will come out with a tune, but I personally would be willing to bet money that they will at some point. It's just good business. As for Dinan, they've been an enigma with the F10 M5, I've heard nothing about them releasing any kind of products any time soon. So we may have a long wait before we seen anything from Dinan.

I was waiting for ESS or Switzer to see what they are going to offer. I haven't made a decision yet myself.

Appreciate 0