View Single Post
      06-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasmo View Post
Running in period is really important; I have same millage / kms on it however no oil consumption

You must be honest to yourself, if you had some high revving in brake in period, you should not look further;
besides this every engine is different, some consume more than others, also depending on the fuel you'll have.

Also do not forget, the oil used during brake in is special oil, that has to be removed!

After the 2000km service I pushed the car almost every time, knowing some of us (m5 owners) are consuming oil, I checked every 500km oil level, it did not changed a bit.
Of course I did rev a few times during the break-in period and I believe it literally makes no difference to oil consumption and but driving style. I'm quite certain people in Netharlands and Belgium can't, and hence don't do participate in 5-10 street races - daily, each lasting 2-10 minutes, 300 km/h rolls and 100+ unique matchups

For some people M5 is a 5 series with power on demand or a status icon, for me it's a race car with everyday practicality and my living dream and that difference in driving style is bound to have a difference in oil consumption to say the least.

I'm more inclined to believe that people who have to top up oil at 1200 km do a fair bit of spirited driving or, for the lack of a better word, street racing. I utilize my car's high-performance capabilities that I paid for and enjoy every minute of driving, sometimes lasting for 6-7 hours looking for 'prey'. It's only a matter of time until the 'civilized world', environmental and safety regulations as well as state laws reach the rest of the world and definition of real driving pleasure and adrenaline is lost in hybrid cars in lonely race tracks.

I still think bikers are crazy people though

Last edited by singularity; 06-28-2012 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0