View Single Post
      11-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #58
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I think you might of missed the message I was trying to convey. Perhap the numbers I was using were too big to avoid mixing topics. The price is semantics. It could be brought down to the $30k to $45k market and its still the same thing. The American brands try to meet or do what looks like they meet the competition and then boast how their price is so much lower. Why aren't they matching price and trying to excel their products.
I think the answer is brand perception. The market for these vehicles is very sensitive to brand image. Lets say Ford makes a compact RWD car that directly competes with the BMW 3 series in every way. Loaded it's $50K like the 335. I think the market would still perceive the BMW as a better car because BMW is a known entity in this class and Ford has no history of world class sport sedans. Now if the Ford had equal handling and a great engine but with lower budget interior quality than the BMW and cost $10K less, the market would eat it up. I think that's the answer if I'm understanding your question.
Appreciate 0